Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Workin' Hard

Physical Therapy has been very beneficial; I think I've come a long way though I still have a long way to go. One of the exercises I do is to just step up on a four inch box - that's all - no weight bearing - just step up and then back down. The other day I asked the girl if I could have the six inch box now cuz I felt like I could do it. I had actually started out with that one, but could not do it at first. (I know - I'm a wimp!) She gave me the bigger box and then went to let the PT know. Remember the old saying: "be careful what you wish for (or ask for); you may get it"? The therapist decided I would now do that exercise with a NINE inch box, and I used the four inch box to step up - full weight bearing. (Today he had me do the full weight bearing with a SIX inch box)! He also added side stepping with a thera-band around my ankles ( that's like a big rubberband), a three pound ankle weight when I do one of the leg lifts, and walking without the cane. I can actually do that, but I use it cuz it helps with the "gimpyness" that I still have. That's been disappointing, but the other day he also did a test that showed I still have almost no strength in those hip muscles. Of course that's the result of about four years with a hip that was so bad there was almost no function in it. Those poor muscles have really weakened - hence - the gimp! For awhile I didn't need a pain pill before therapy, and I didn't sweat. Not anymore!!! I'm sweatin' now! I do exercises and walking in the therapy pool too - that's fun! I really feel that walking in my back which is a good thing. My low back has gotten really weak and now maybe it'll get stronger. My goal is to get back to normal, and I want to walk (if they have a walk - I know they have a run) at Dogwood time this Spring, and also ride in the trail ride! Yee-haw!

1 comment:

Sarah Fruge said...

Yo Momma! I tagged you! Check out my blog to know what to do about it!! Love you! Thanks for caring for my precious Angel.