Friday, September 12, 2008

Life With My New Hip

So...I am three weeks post-op. I'm still on the walker - which I want to get off of. I'm ready to move to a cane, but I'm really afraid of falling. My physical therapists are absolutely wonderful - I have actually walked with a cane once at therapy, but at that point I was still pretty weak and shaky. I'm feeling much stronger now, and guess what...I have NO pain!!! Well, I have discomfort where the incision is - in the muscles and such, but as far as pain in my hip - NONE!!! The two main things I've noticed is that I can walk backwards (I couldn't do that when my hip was bad) and if my leg gets bumped it doesn't hurt! Before the surgery even the slightest bump to that leg was horribly painful. My life seems to revolve around where my gadgets are: my walker and my grabber thingy. I use my grabber thingy for EVERYTHING! I love it!! I'm able to be very independent because of it. I have some limitations for the next three months - some hip rules, if you will. To follow them will allow my hip to heal properly so that it'll last me a good long time - which is what I want. I have no regrets about having this surgery, but I sure don't want to repeat it any time soon! So...my grabber thingy lets me reach stuff, etc. The coolest gadget I have is the "sock putter on-er". You just thread your sock onto it, stick your foot in it, and pull! Magically your sock is on - very fun! I am blessed! I am so thankful for this opportunity to be pain free and mobile again - to get my life back!

No comments: